Monday, September 19, 2011

Public Service Announcement #2

A brief note to all application and operating system developers:

Failure to respond to a prompt does not indicate accession to perform the actions that would otherwise occur. Especially if those actions have a high risk of losing my data. So I would like to thank you (whichever product is responsible for my most recent undesired restart) for completely obliterating my class notes. At the very least, you did not destroy all of my research too, just a day's worth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windows Update on default settings'll do that to ya in Win7 and possibly Vista too.

My brother has cursed it many a time when his game was covering up the "now or later?" dialog and the game was restarted out from under him.

(The general patronizing design of a lot of Windows stuff is one of the many reasons I get my geek on in Linux instead.)

Joshua Cranmer said...

One of the first things I did on my computer was to explicitly disable the automatic update and to tell it instead to just notify me when there are new updates.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. No other specific applications come to mind, but then my brothers mostly run Linux-derived apps and little-known alternative utilities on their PCs so I'm hardly up to date on general practice.

Ed M said...

Windows 8 is finally starting to address some of these issues. I believe the plan they mentioned was allowing 2 days of not notifying, but just having some kind of small countdown on the lockscreen.